If you're thinking about receiving your bulk oils in Bag in Box Totes, you're not alone. Many manufacturers are making the switch to Bag in a Box (BIB) totes.
Before your first tote delivers, here's what you're going to want to know. These photos will go through each step of how you will set up the dispensing system, how you'll get the oil out and afterwards, dispose of the tote after use.
(Photos shown for the SpaceKraft brand; instructions will vary slightly by brand).
1. Tote will arrive as pictured.
2. Remove all 4 straps from the tote
3. Collect and dispose of strapping
4. Remove corrugated cap and recycle
5. Remove poly shroud. Please note: not all totes use these.
6. OPTIONAL: Using 2 spring-loaded plastic clamps (available at any hardware store), clamp a small amount of the product liner to the edge of the tote side that has the bottom dispense hole.
7. Tote is prepared for dispensing.
8. OPTIONAL: Tote should be elevated with the backside of the tote having a 4" incline.
9. Remove dispense gland cap. Keep the cap in a safe place so that it can be replaced when tote is empty.
10. Attach the ball valve assembly to the dispense gland. Once the gasket on the valve seats to the gland, do not over tighten-- hand tighten only. Valve is tight between the 10 and 2 o'clock position.
11. With the valve handle in the open position, push the plunger tool straight through the valve one time and then pull straight out. Do NOT twist the plunger tool.
12. IMPORTANT: Close the valve and place a small container under the valve. There will be 1/2 - 1 cup of product between the internal ball and end of the valve.
13. Remove the plunger tool from valve and allow 1/2 - 1 cup of product to drain into container.
14. Attach a 2" male camlock or tri-clamp fitment to discharge side of valve. Hook up female camlock/tri-clamp/hose and turn handle to start dispensing.
15. As dispensing progresses, the liner inside of the tote will begin to collapse. The 4" tilt will keep the product moving towards the dispense outlet.
16. When product flow begins to slow, pull the flexible liner towards the front of the tote and reset clamps. This will keep the product flowing towards the dispense outlet.
17. Inside of the box with liner pulled forward.
18. As the liner is pulled forward, the liner and product will move towards the front of the box. This allows the product to be completely dispensed.
19. Liner position on inside of tote when completely pulled forward and product completely dispensed from tote.
20. Close ball valve and remove by turning counter clockwise.
21. Replace bottom dispense cap.
22. Remove spring loaded clamps from the front of the tote.
23. Remove the empty flexible inner liner and dispense in a standard waste stream.
24. Remove bottom pad by grasping one of the flaps and pulling the pad up and out of the tote.
25. Pull sides of the tote together to close the tote.
26. Tote will lay flat and can be recycled.
Image & Instruction Source: SpaceKraft